This event has concluded.Watch Replay
Office Hours: HIPAA Training for Employers
Tuesday, October 11, 5:00 PM – 6:00 PM
The HIPAA rules provide that HIPAA training is required for certain employees who have access to PHI of the group health plan. This includes employees who have a plan-related need to access PHI for a self-insured health plan’s administrative functions. PHI does not include enrollment information for these purposes. Therefore, employees within that HIPAA firewall who need training generally includes only benefits and HR professionals (but generally not finance, accounting, payroll, C-suite, or other corporate leadership positions).
This one-hour session of Newfront Office Hours will satisfy your HIPAA training requirement. Even if you technically do not need HIPAA training (e.g., your health benefits are all fully insured), consider joining anyway to better understand how HIPAA applies to employers.
Topics for Discussion
- Use this session to satisfy the required HIPAA privacy/security training!
- HIPAA portability requirements including the special enrollment events and wellness program rules
- Understanding the definition of covered entity and PHI, and the special rules that apply for employers
- Key compliance differences between self-insured and fully insured health plans
- When a BAA is required, how the HIPAA firewall restricts access to PHI, and how to prevent a breach of PHI
- Compliance strategies for common situations faced by all employee benefits professionals