With Hurricane Florence setting a disastrous path towards the East Coast, we want to make sure everyone is safe, connected and aware of how we can help. We have pulled together the below information to help you during this current situation as well as prepared for future storms, including:
- General Tips
- Helpful Resources
- How to File a Claim
- Worker Compensation Carrier phone numbers
- Your first concern should always be to make sure all employees and their families are safe! If any employees sustain injury while at work either during the storm or post-storm clean up, please report the claim directly to your Workers’ Compensation insurer as soon as possible. We have included a list of WC carriers’ toll-free numbers to report a claim.
- Document all damage to equipment, supplies, property and any loss of revenue. Photos/video of the damage is very helpful. Also document the cause of the damage or loss of revenue.
- Mitigate your losses to the extent possible by making any emergency repairs necessary to prevent further damage (cover broken windows, leaking roofs, etc.); be sure to document the damage before making the repairs.
- Do not make permanent or non-emergency repairs prior to discussion with your insurer.
- Report property, auto, general liability and workers’ compensation claims, as outlined below.
The following websites provide helpful information and resources:
- www.nhc.noaa.gov: National Weather Service/National Hurricane Center provides updates and advisories.
- www.fema.gov: Helpful suggested tips before and after a disaster and information on shelters, including Red Cross Shelters
- www.cnn.com: CNN for updated news alerts on Hurricane Florence and a helpful storm tracker.
- www.ready.gov/hurricanes and https://www.osha.gov/dts/weather/hurricane/preparedness.html: Suggested measures for hurricane preparedness, what to do before and after a hurricane.
Property and Casualty – How to Report a Claim
- For clients reporting property, automobile, and general liability call 877-885-3656. Calls will be directed to and responded from the P&C claims team.
- For private clients and personal lines (homes) call the team’s emergency hotline 866-988-2298.
- Please have clients report workplace injuries to their workers compensation carriers, easy access to the numbers is provide below.
Workers Compensation Carriers – Report employee injuries directly to your WC Carrier
- AIG – 800.910.2667
- Applied Underwriters – 877-234-4420
- Berkley Tech – 866-499-5239
- Berkshire – 800-661-6029
- Chubb – 800-699-9916
- CNA – 877-262-2727
- Everest – 855-252-4695
- Hartford – 800-327-3636
- Midwest – 800.293.0616
- OneBeacon – 800-203-9600
- Pacific Comp Insurance Co – 800-474-8080
- Republic Indemnity – 888-336-7569
- Safety National – 888-995-5300
- Starr Indemnity – 866-782-7725
- State Fund – 888-782-8338
- Travelers – 800-238-6225
- Zurich – 800-987-3373
If you would like to help now, you can also donate or volunteer through the American Red Cross. No expectation to contribute but we hope we can all do our part to assist the community.
As needs become clearer, ABD will host drives and/or donations deliveries, so please stay tuned.
About the author
Executive Vice President, Property & Casualty Practice Leader
Rod is a Founding Principal of and leads the Property & Casualty practice at Newfront. He brings 30+ years of commercial insurance industry experience, where he spent the first 10 years on the carrier side specializing in the design and management of large alternative risk workers’ compensation financial plans.
The information provided is of a general nature and an educational resource. It is not intended to provide advice or address the situation of any particular individual or entity. Any recipient shall be responsible for the use to which it puts this document. Newfront shall have no liability for the information provided. While care has been taken to produce this document, Newfront does not warrant, represent or guarantee the completeness, accuracy, adequacy, or fitness with respect to the information contained in this document. The information provided does not reflect new circumstances, or additional regulatory and legal changes. The issues addressed may have legal, financial, and health implications, and we recommend you speak to your legal, financial, and health advisors before acting on any of the information provided.
Share this article
Keep up to date with Newfront News and Events—